Banana bread is one of those things that you either love or hate. I’m firmly in the love camp. I’m a bit obsessed with bananas lately. Almost as obsessed as I am with chocolate. I did refrain from adding chocolate to this bread, that’s not to say this wouldn’t be awesome with chocolate chips and walnuts instead of the blueberries.
It would of course be more than awesome and I will be adding those next time I make this.
This blueberry and banana oat bread is a really great alternative to regular banana bread. Use gluten free oats and baking powder to make this suitable for Coeliacs. This bread is wheat and dairy free and has no refined sugar and very little fat. It’s sweet but not overly so, incredibly moist and the little burst of blueberry in every bite turns this banana bread from just ok to supremely delicious.
This bread has quite a cake-y texture, I love this for breakfast – oats, fruit and egg mean you can have your cake and eat it for breakfast without having any of those guilty feelings after – win. It also makes a delectable mid afternoon treat with a nice cuppa.
Ingredients for Blueberry and Banana Oat Bread
1.5 Ripe Bananas, mashed
1 Tablespoon Maple Syrup
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Cup of Oats, finely processed
1/4 Cup of Coconut Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Cup of Blueberries
Makes one loaf
1. Preheat your oven to 170C fan. Grease a 1lb loaf tin well (I use an olive oil spray).
2. Beat the eggs using an electric whisk or stand mixer.
3. In a bowl mash the bananas together with the maple syrup and vanilla extract.
4. Add the banana mix to your eggs and beat until combined.
5. Add the coconut flour, oat flour and baking powder to the bowl and mix again until well combined.
6. Fold in the blueberries and pour into your tin.
7. Bake in the oven for approx 40-45 mins until the top is golden and it’s springy when pushed in the center.